Tuesday, June 23, 2009


As I shuffled on down my favorite dusty trail just off the main drag of the three block metropolis of downtown Talkeetna Alaska; I came around the corner and stood face to face with 'the mountain', Denali, The Great One. That mountain has a hold on me, one that takes me back to the primordial before humans walked this earth. I have known this place before. I stand there feeling the ever present pull of the Great One.
I walk farther down the beach, no humans, just me, the mosquitoes, and the Arctic Terns. Perfect. Little did I know I was in for a show. I kept strolling down the river in the heart of Bear country wishing one would present itself. Bear never showed, electing to stay hidden.
I sat on a huge old log once driftwood but for the moment my chair. I reveled in the sounds at the confluence of the three rivers, felt at home with the gentle heat from the sun streaming on my face, and quite at peace...then it started... The Arctic Terns, I was in the middle of their feeding grounds. One flew at a blistering pace up the edge of the river towards me and stopped, hovering, looking at the river below him then he turned his head eyeballing me. I didn't dare move. He saddled over sideways no more than five feet from me. I could see his blazing red feet and beak, the night black cap on his head, and the blinding gray/white of his chest. He had me! In a flash he shot forward, I watched as he dove into the river for insects. I had plenty he could have, the mosquitoes were out in force and I had no bug dope on. No matter I was watching a dance of life.
Now the terns were everywhere, flying racetrack patterns over the rivers with me in the front row. They all came by closer and closer, I sat rock still in this place with no human sounds... no human sounds... say it...no...human...sounds.
The terns in their everyday hunt for bugs, mesmerized me and made me wish I was one of them if just for a few minutes. They are fighter jets, nimble, excruciatingly quick, and simply beautiful. They all seemed to stop where I was, one at a time, getting closer but not too close. Putting on a show of curiosity. I knew this was everyday life for them, ordinary, but for me...I wanted to fly with them badly.
I sat there on my driftwood log for hours watching the terns. A raven came by and landed on the sandbar about 50 yards off shore. The terns didn't really like raven in their place so a few went over and shared their feelings with raven. After a loud and quick to flair to violence confrontation raven decided he had other things to do.
Then the human sounds started.



1 comment:

  1. Looks like Tern is reminding you where you are now and what it took to get here. What a time of transition, and a good one at that. Then, Raven came in to again remind you where you've been, where you are now, and where you're headed. You are on a wisdom path and Raven acknowledges this. All good things and blessings to you, my friend. What a beautiful post. Fasten your seatbelt - what a ride you have ahead! Tanya

    The Raven

    Ravens have a long history of myth and lore associated with them. In some native tribes they are known as the "keeper of secrets." They hold the teachings of mysticism and magic.

    Ravens are linked to the void, where universal secrets are stored. Their inky black color is the color associated with darkness. The darkness is a place where unconscious fears live. Raven, a master magician, embodies the energy of transformation and shows us how to eliminate our inner demons.

    Ravens are the largest songbirds in North America. They are extremely intelligent and are clever mimics. They incorporate and mimic calls of other species and can teach us how to understand the language of animals. They have also been known to learn some human words.
    The raven knows the mystery of life. They have an intimate association with death and rebirth.

    Because raven would feed on the corpses of the dead hanging on the gallons, early European settlers feared this bird and considered it to be an ill omen. In truth, however, raven should be respected not feared.

    There are many stories in native cultures about this illusive black bird. Shamans know the power of an unexpected piercing sound in altering consciousness. Ravens exercise this power, emitting a variety of sounds and can aid us in shifting our consciousness into various dimensional realms. This is one reason why the raven is known as a shape shifter with magical powers. Anyone with raven as a totem can expect continual changes and spiritual awakenings throughout their life.

    Raven picks its students according to their accumulated wisdom. It flies into a persons life carrying the energy of magic and healing. If it decides to settle in and take up residence, it will stay as long as necessary to aid you in transmuting your karma then return you to the light. It will push, prod, and lead you into the discovery of your multidimensional self and reunite you with the secrets of the multidimensional universe.

    Meet raven, not with fear, but rather with an appreciation for the teachings that it holds.

    ReplyDelete